Making Online Payments

To make an online payment for Meal Tracker and/or Wai’alae Plus Morning Care (monthly fee only, for already-registered students) and/or Wai’alae Plus After School Care (for already-registered students), click on this link:

Parents/Guardians, to use this service, you will need to create an account for yourself and then link your child’s Meal Tracker Account to your account.  To create an account:

  • Click on the blue “REGISTER” button on the lower left-hand side of the page, then follow the prompts and instructions.
  • To search for our “district”, enter “Wai” and a list should be shown from which you can select “Wai’alae Elementary Public Chart” (our full name is cut off.)

Once you have created an account, to link your child’s Meal Tracker Account to your account:

  • Click on “My Students” in the menu on the left-hand side of the page.
  • Click on the green “+ ADD A STUDENT” button.
  • Enter your child’s last name and enter his/her Meal Tracker PIN where it asks for the “Student Number”; if you don’t know your child’s Meal Tracker PIN, please send an email message to to request that information.
  • Once you have entered the required information, click on the green “SAVE” button and your child’s Meal Tracker Account information should be displayed.

There is no charge to create an account and monitor your child’s Meal Tracker account.

However, deposit/payment transactions will incur a convenience fee of $3.50.

You may also make payments of Wai’alae Plus program fees and our School Activity Fee on this site.   To find those items, click on the “Store / Pay Online” line in the menu.

NOTE TO PARENTS:  Payments for Wai’alae Plus programs are for children who are already registered.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;


fax: (202) 690-7442; or



This institution is an equal opportunity provider.